• Enabling PSI to connect to Ichat server

    For whatever reason we have a hell of a time getting Linux chat clients to connect to our Ichat server using SSL. The simplest way we have found so far is to install PSI (0.1.0) and the TLS support. To make it all work, just do the following (instructions based on Gutsy 7.10):

    sudo apt-get install psi qca-tls

    If you do not install the qca-tls, you will receive an error when you try to check ‘enable SSL\TLS’ saying the plugin is not available. Finally, when you are setting up the account, you will need to select the Allow Plaintext Login. Failure to select that results in an unknown login method error.
    Read the rest of this entry »

  • Leopard Server 10.5.6 Update Problems on PPC

    After remotely updating a G5 Power PC (PPC) Leopard Server to 10.5.6 , we were very disappointed to find out that our server did not come back to life, or so it seemed. Since the server was updated via remote control, we were not on location to fix this problem resulting in a late night drive to the site to restore the server. Hoping it was something as simple needing to agree to a license agreement, we did not expect to find a blank gray screen when we turned on the monitor. Read the rest of this entry »

  • Ichat User Unable to Receive Messages

    A co-worker was having a very strange problem in that they were not able to communicate with anyone via Ichat.  They were able to send messages, but they could not receive responses and they also could not see their own messages that they were sending.  However, screen sharing and voice chat was working for them.  After confirming that the problem was isolated to the user account on the MAC (this was done by signing in as a different user profile on the Mac Book Pro), then connecting to Ichat from that new profile to verify if it was still working on the machine itself.  Once it was confirmed that Ichat was not the problem, we decided that there must be something wrong with the user preferences.

    Logging back in as the affected user, we opened the following location and deleted all com.apple.Ichat.*.plist files:


    Upon deleting those files, once Ichat was relaunched, we were stepped through the setup process as if we had not used Ichat before. Once the user filled in their information, everything started working just as it should once they connected.  Very strange little problem.