• Installing Mongrel with Ruby 1.9

    Installing mongrel on ruby 1.9 has caused problems for many different people as has been reported on isitruby19.com.

    Running gem install mongrel produces the following error.

    http11.c: In function ‘http_field’:
    http11.c:77: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘ptr’
    http11.c:77: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘len’
    http11.c:77: warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect
    http11.c: In function ‘header_done’:
    http11.c:172: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘ptr’
    http11.c:174: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘ptr’
    http11.c:176: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘ptr’
    http11.c:177: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘len’
    http11.c: In function ‘HttpParser_execute’:
    http11.c:298: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘ptr’
    http11.c:299: error: ‘struct RString’ has no member named ‘len’
    make: *** [http11.o] Error 1

    To install mongrel after receiving this error, just follow these steps: Read the rest of this entry »

  • Good Routine for Spyware and Viruses Removal

    Here is a list of things you can do to help diagnose and fix problems associated with viruses and spyware.  Hopefully you have been running an anti virus program and have been keeping it updated, if not then these steps can probably help fix a spyware/virus problem.

    1. Go into Add/Remove programs, and remove all unwanted entries, and toolbars.  If you are not sure what something is, google it.
    2. Go into MSConfig (got to RUN and type: msconfig)>, go to startup tab, remove all unwanted and suspicious entries.
    3. Download Ad-Aware free edition (DO NOT INSTALL YET)
    4. Download Spybot S&D. (DO NOT INSTALL YET)
    5. Download Hijackthis (DO NOT INSTALL YET)
    6. Download ccleaner (DO NOT INSTALL YET)
    7. After all of these are downloaded, turn off  the System Restore feature then reboot into safe mode (hit F8 before the Windows screen). Read the rest of this entry »
  • ODBC.ini update did not work

    After running the same database for quite some time for a rails application, we finally had to change the database in odbc.ini to point to the new server. Alas we changed the odbc.ini file, shut down the old database and relaunched the application. Expecting the application to immediately start talking to the database on reboot (since we just changed an IP) we were surprised to find that the application was not connecting to the database anymore.

    The rails application was connecting to SQL Server as detailed in this previous post using ODBC and FreeTDS.
    Read the rest of this entry »

  • VMware Fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine

    After having a MacBook pro crash and subsequently get repaired with a new logic board, we found that the virtual machines on the computer would not start at all. This problem started happening just before the computer fatally crashed before needing repair, but persisted after the logic board was replaced. The exact error VMware Fusion 2 gave us was, “Make sure you have rights to run the program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all directories for temporary files”. Many solutions to this problem involve removing and reinstalling VMware Fusion.

    After uninstalling, deleting the remaining files and rebooting then reinstalling the latest version a few times (even as different users) we found that we had the exact same problem. We even tried reinstalling again using an older version of Fusion (version 1). We ran the verify and repair on both the disk and permissions with no success either.

    Read the rest of this entry »

  • Rails Application and SSL Problem in Internet Explorer

    Recently we ran across a very annoying problem when deploying a Ruby on Rails application running under SSL when viewed in IE7. When we loaded the page in Internet Explorer 7 there was a content security error. This made no sense at all as everything was secure, and even when we hard coded absolute links the problem still persisted. What could possibly be causing this problem.

    Thinking perhaps it was some random HTTP link sitting in the code, the developers went over everything with a fine tooth comb and could not find the problem. Knowing that a secure content error could be the result of a number of things we broke parts out of the page and rebuilt the page one line at a time until we recreated the content error. Low and behold we found a single JS file that was causing this problem!

    Read the rest of this entry »